I knew it was a matter of time before I was tagged with this task! So here we are, my top 10 most influential books, thanks to Allison’s nudge.
With all the many books I’ve read over the years, I really had trouble narrowing down which have influenced me the most. This cobbled list is pretty spot on, but how many am I forgetting? So many stories have deeply touched me. These selections have caused me to kiss the book’s pages, which is at least a start.
1. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (Youth novel - changed my life at age 11!)
2. Neon Vernacular by Yusef Komunyakaa (Poetry)
3. Stones From the River by Ursula Hegi (Novel) *favorite of all time!
4. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (Novel)
5. Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro (Short stories)
6. The Country Between Us by Carolyn Forche (Poetry)
7. Zenzele: A Letter For My Daughter by J. Nozipo Maraire (Novel)
8. Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald (Novel)
9. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Novel)
10. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Interpreter of Maladies by Jumpa Lahiri
Krik? Krak! By Edwidge Danticat
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Push by Sapphire
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Night by Eli Weisel
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Amulet by Roberto Bolano
Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck