Some guidelines for loving:
1. Tell them about their brilliance. They likely can’t see it and they don’t know its immensity, but you can see it, and you can illuminate it for them.
2. Be authentic, and give others the gift of the real you and a real relationship. Ask your real questions. Share your real beliefs. Go for your real dreams. Tell your truth.
3. Don’t confuse “authenticity” with sharing every complaint, resentment, or petty reaction in the name of “being yourself.” Meditate, write, or do yoga to work through anxiety, resentment, and stress on your own so you don’t hand off those negative moods to everyone around you. Sure, share sadness, honest dilemmas, and fears, but be mindful: don’t pollute.
4. Listen, listen, listen. Don’t listen to determine if you agree or disagree. Listen to get to know what is true for the person in front of you. Get to know an inner landscape that is different from your own, and enjoy the journey. Remember that if, in any conversation, nothing piqued your curiosity and nothing surprised you, you weren’t really listening.
5. Don’t waste your time or energy thinking about how they need to be different. Really. Chuck that whole thing. Their habits are their habits. Their personalities are their personalities. Let them be, and work on what you want to change about you—not what you think would be good to change about them.
6. Remember that you don’t have to understand their choices to respect or accept them.
7. Don’t conflate accepting with being a doormat or betraying yourself. Let them be who they are, entirely. Then, you decide what you need, in light of who they are. Do you need to make a direct request that they change their behavior in some way? Do you need to take care of yourself better? Do you need to set a boundary or to change the relationship? Take care of yourself well, without holding anyone else in contempt.
8. Give of yourself, but never sacrifice or compromise yourself. Stop if resentment is building and retool. Don’t do the martyr thing. It helps no one and nothing.
9. Remember that everyone you encounter was created by divine intelligence and has an important role to play in the universe. Treat them as such.
10. If you want to keep growing emotionally and spiritually for the rest of your life, accept this as your mantra and try to live as if it were true: Everything that I experience from another human being is either love, or a call for love.
What I continue to work on. Yes, yes, yes.
- the-real-doctor-love reblogged this from granosdegranada
- lovergirltati16 likes this
- hollowidolseyes likes this
- antoniosans likes this
- macho-cimarron likes this
- granosdegranada reblogged this from elige
- penalty-shot reblogged this from whythehullnot
- whythehullnot reblogged this from sloppyfirsts
- whythehullnot likes this
- hulls likes this
- spinals likes this
- sloppyfirsts reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- thetalkingcabbage reblogged this from thegardennymph
- thetalkingcabbage likes this
- piecesfromthepct likes this
- mattpwhitney likes this
- gregazdowicz likes this
- littleconstellations reblogged this from historysmysteries
- zehornet likes this
- alilthisandthat likes this
- baitbooger likes this
- a-world-where-cocoa-is-purple likes this
- msatoure likes this
- msatoure reblogged this from dharkephoenyx
- dharkephoenyx reblogged this from mrseven65
- dharkephoenyx likes this
- howfloetic reblogged this from goldennose
- goldennose reblogged this from fancybidet
- largeloka likes this
- heteroboremative reblogged this from heteroboremative
- 2dollarsteak reblogged this from cryptcutie
- marvelous-new-me reblogged this from fearsomesymmetry
- pauseforjustaminute reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- curvesinmyspine reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- rhinvan likes this
- chpoet reblogged this from scratch-n-stitch and added:
- naturallyjas likes this
- rollov reblogged this from freereeves and added:
- rollov likes this
- heyfearsome reblogged this from fearsomesymmetry
- panasha reblogged this from isnobueno
- panasha likes this
- thebreakfastclubisahorriblemovie likes this
- kingkongshookit reblogged this from eatcakey
- kingkongshookit likes this
- ghostinterloper likes this
- miraculost reblogged this from sbcsweetspirits and added:
- kiadelphia likes this
- cturnblrish reblogged this from freereeves